Thursday, January 3, 2008

Reason #26

I went to the library yesterday to pick up a couple books on hold. Of course I had Molly and Amos. Going to the library, or anywhere these days, is really a feat of extreme patience. But usually Molly is pretty good. There is a little ramp she likes to run up and down while I grab my books. Anyway, apparently I forgot to have that little discussion I usually have with her before I went inside. You know the one: be good, stay with mommy, when it's time to go then we go without screaming, etc. We go get her Wiggles dvd's first and some books for her, then I go to get mine and checkout. And she goes for the ramp, which is fine because usually she just stays on it. Did I say usually? Yes. So she decided enough with the ramp and kept running all the way up to the upstairs sections. So now I've got my diaper bag, Amos (all 20+ pounds of him), plus the bag with all the books and 5 dvd's. I go upstairs to get her and she is waiting at the top of the ramp smiling. As soon as she sees me she runs straight for the shelves, with me trying to run after her and saying, "Molly. Molly. Stop right now." But it's not like I could yell, because we're in a library! I'm trying to be as inconspicuous as possible as I run past all the weirdos sitting at the free internet computers, and Molly is just out of my reach running towards the non-fiction section. I dropped the bags, kept Amos, and kept running. I finally caught up with her and then had to physically drag her back to where my bags were, try to figure out how to carry Amos, pick up the bags, and keep one hand on Molly so she didn't run away again. Ok, got everything. By then, Molly was mad and didn't want to walk so I had to drag her past the checkout shelf with the librarian watching the whole thing, out the door, through the parking lot. And when I say drag, I mean that literally. The girl would not walk. So we finally get to the car and after a time out and strapping both of them in we start driving. She's holding the Wiggles with Santa dvd. And here is the conversation that followed:

Molly: Santa!

Me: Yes, do you see Santa?

Molly: Santa nice!

Me: Yes, he is nice!

Molly: Mommy mean!

Me: ......

And that, folks, is just one of the reasons why my kids won't believe in Santa Clause.

5 comments:

The Winns said...

Okay I don't get the title of the post. Reason #26? Maybe I read to fast. Cameron is trying to have a conversation with me, and I am not being very good at listening.

Amber said...

It's Reason #26 why my kids won't believe in Santa Claus. You have to read the last line for it to make sense. Sorry!

Gene Grant said...

This is Amber's dad who thinks this story was hilarious and reminds me of vague memories about raising Amber. Very well written and very funny. Of course I am not biased or anything!

Wu said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Wu said...

What I meant to say was, sounds like a lot of work, but well worth it. A time you'll look back on & laugh. I can imagine it is tough though.